Monday, June 05, 2006

Heat


About a month ago, I was certain that my roses were pretty much done blooming for the summer. I was pleasantly suprised when, about a week ago, they started blooming again! The blooms usually wilt and turn brown after a day or so, but hey, it's something! The Crepescule in the back yard went crazy, and the Saffrona and Playboy also pushed out a couple of flowers. Our "cheap" roses (the grafted plants we bought at either Wal-Mart or Home Depot) produced a few flowers, as well. Mrs. Dudley Cross has yet to produce any flowers, but I planted her pretty late in the season. At least her foliage seems healthy.

I planted some new stuff this weekend... even though it's a little late. I planted a new daylily plant, a few daylily bulbs (or whatever you call them), a Mexican Bird of Paradise, a cheap orange-and-red stripey miniature rose, and some more cosmos seeds. I dotted in some marigolds around my tomato and pepper plants... That's good for their roots, isn't it? I read somewhere that marigolds prevent root-rot nematodes.

My cannas are starting to bloom, and so are my native hibiscus. I'll get pictures up as soon as I can, but my computer has been giving me trouble. It won't open up my photo software. (We're regulars at the computer repair place.) I guess I'll have to email pics we've taken with our phones and post them from my work computer.

In the meantime, I'm posting a picture of my first daylily. I love it so much, I've decided to get more next year. It was taken with my phone, so the quality isn't great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home