Tuesday, May 15, 2007

May Bloom Day

In Bloom Today:
Purple Oxalis -- Oxalis regnellii 'Atropurpurea'
Dwarf Pomegranate - Punica granatum 'Nana' (Bloom period is ending.)
Southern Magnolia - Magnolia Gladiflora (Started this week.)
Rose: Safrano
Rose: Red Cascade
Purple Rose of Sharon/ Althea - Hibiscus syriacus (Started this week.)

Confederate Jasmine
Passion Flower vine

The temperatures are in the nineties today… Spring is over. We’ve gotten plenty of rain over the last few months, but it sure is HOT now! My spring-blooming plants are finished with their show. Next up, I think, will be the hibiscus. My native hibiscuses are forming buds in my front bed, while the Rose of Sharon in the back yard has already opened a few flowers up.(Safrano, Rose of Sharon, Magnolia)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ug! It IS hot!

My rose of Sharon is just starting to have flowers. The crape myrtles aren't--last week's muggy heat resulted in them succumbing to an attack of mildew.

I'm crossing my fingers that my magnolia will start blooming soon. I see two flowers.

May 15, 2007 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful magnolia blossom. It's supposed to cool off tomorrow and the next day as a Canadian cold front pushes through. Yippee!

By the way, your post is titled April Bloom Day instead of May. ;-)

May 15, 2007 2:47 PM  
Blogger r r s said...

Oops. I'm fixing it now.

May 15, 2007 3:24 PM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

I love the magnolia picture, it is such a regal flower. Pam says Yippee to a Canadian front pushing through, but it may bring frost here, plus we need some rain.

May 15, 2007 6:43 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

You have some pretty cool stuff in bloom, RSorrell!
My Little Gem Magnolia has buds, as does the Rose of Sharon, but not the crepe myrtles or Passionvine. My purple oxalis is blooming, too - but I got so used to it that I didn't write it down.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

May 15, 2007 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home