Friday, July 14, 2006

Star of Texas

I believe that this is a "Star of Texas" hibiscus. I noticed that it had opened this morning on my way out the door, so I took a quick snapshot with my phone. I was worried that it might wither in the heat today, and I had to make sure I got a picture.



I've neglected my garden for the last two weeks. It's been hot, and the mosquitoes are out. Last weekend, we had houseguests, so I didn't have any time for gardening. I did manage to pull a few weeds and water my container plants, but that's about it. I need to give all of my newer trees a deep watering, weed the back border bed, and deadhead almost everything.

3 Comments:

Blogger Annie in Austin said...

I think the name is Hibiscus coccineus, Texas Star, and mine started a few days ago, too. I read somewhere that its natural range covers a large portion of the Southeast, meaning some folks in Alabama and Georgia are upset with Texas for calling dibs on the name.

How tall is your plant? Is it new? Mine is a few years old, but didn't get a flower until it hit the seven foot mark. Maybe it needs more sun or something?

July 14, 2006 2:39 PM  
Blogger r r s said...

My plant is about three feet tall, and we planted it a year ago. It's in full sun. I feed it hibiscus food every few months. Maybe that makes a difference.

July 15, 2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

I didn't even know there was such a thing as hibiscus food! Another thing to check out.

July 16, 2006 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home