Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Better Weather, New Nursery

First things first… I woke up this morning to the sound of RAIN! All weekend, the sky had been threatening to open up over my house, but it didn’t happen. Saturday, I was CERTAIN we were about to get a shower… there were showers just a mile South of us. I could hear thunder, the temperature dropped, wind blew though… but no rain. I had gone out to sit on my back porch, waiting for the storm to blow in… and there I sat, for half an hour, just waiting. Nothing. It was very disappointing. So, I’m absolutely delighted with this morning’s weather.

Even though it’s still very hot during the days, fall is finally in the air. The days have shortened, and the temperature is lower at night. Crickets have invaded the downtown office building where I work, signaling the change of season for me.

"Big Boy" lives in the Orchid Room at It's a Jungle.


On another note, my husband and I have a new favorite nursery. It’s called “It’s a Jungle,” and it’s on Kramer Lane off of North Lamar, for those of you who live in Austin. The owner was incredibly helpful, and the selection was fantastic. I’ve never seen so many roses in one nursery in Austin! And, there’s an ENTIRE ROOM full of orchids! We ended up with a beautiful, fragrant purple orchid , a swamp rose, and a dwarf peach.

The Orchid Room at It's a Jungle


Other purchases in the last few days: Three red spider lily bulbs (lycoris) and a plumeria from Shoal Creek, and a creeping juniper from The Great Outdoors.
This weekend, I finally pruned all of the roses in my front yard and fed them with Rose Tone. I also sprayed everything (front and back yard) with some kind of soil activator/ seaweed from Medina

Roses at It's a Jungle

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another well-stocked, interesting nursery is always a good thing.

September 06, 2006 6:11 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I've never been to It's a Jungle but my husband bought me an orchid there a few years ago. Of course, he failed to mention that they also had other plants (not wanting to inspire more garden shopping is my guess!!).

September 06, 2006 6:14 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

All we need is a few drops of rain, a couple of days where the thermometer's level stays below 100º and we're all heading for the nursery.
What a bunch of Austin Optimists.

I've never been to It's A Jungle either, but that could be remedied. No orchids will be purchased - too many orchid deaths are on my resume already.

I'll have to check the local HEB for the fall cricket convention - in other years they suddenly appeared by the thousands, all over the outside walls of the shopping center.

Annie

September 06, 2006 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Annie, I was at Shoal Creek Nursery today. How right you are: with that north breeze blowing, a trip to a nursery was irresistible.

Susan,I've just discovered your blog. Welcome to Austin's garden blogging scene. I like your site, and I'm posting about it right now. One quibble though---won't you allow us non-Blogger bloggers to comment? It's set up so that you can comment only if you have a Blogger account and password.

September 06, 2006 3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to find "It's A Jungle" one afternoon because I wanted to do a writeup on it for Metroblogging Austin. I'm glad to know it really does exist. I'll have to go looking for it again.

You and Pam must have gotten near 1/2 an inch of rain--at least that's what they reported at Camp Mabry. We didn't get even enough to wet the pavement under the car, but the fact that it was misty and cooler all day was wonderful.

September 08, 2006 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home