Thursday, July 20, 2006

Well, not EVERTHING is dying.

As I type, it's 79 degrees outside and 81% humidity. The high today is 99 (which is a lot better than 103, if you want to compare.)

There was a light sprinkle this morning, but not enough to make any sort of a difference. The weather people are predicting that next week will be a bit cooler... Meaning the mid-90's. Oooh, what a refreshing change.




One of my daylilies sent up another stalk with buds. I was greeted this morning by two lovely blooms. It seems that a lot of the garden bloggers who live farther North aren't too fond of daylilies; I happen to love them. I guess that the gardening elitists resent anything that doesn't need to be coddled.



The native hibiscus is blooming this week, as well. The humidity steamed up the lens when I took this picture.

4 Comments:

Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Well, your post bans me from any "Garden Elitist" category, since I grew 46 different daylilies in IL. There are only 5 kinds here, but some have been divided so there are about 14 plants. It's cool that you can either let them clump and ignore them, or keep digging and dividing and they still bloom.

I chopped out the 7-foot tall middle stem of my TX hibiscus, and the side stems made a few flowers.

Just that cloud cover yesterday made it tolerable! Nineties - yay.

July 21, 2006 7:44 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I can't talk about hibiscus with out getting mad. I wanted a native hibiscus but ended up getting something at Lowes that has no way of surviving the winter here. When I found out, I was going to take it back but I'm too lazy. It’s in the ground now. I don't know what I'm going to do with it.
It's pretty enough.
It just makes me mad every time I see it.

July 21, 2006 12:11 PM  
Blogger r r s said...

I have one tropical hibiscus that survived the winter. It's in the back yard, against a wall that protects it from north wind. We didn't have much of a winter,though, and it still hasn't bloomed. So, I don't know if it's going to do anything for me this year.

July 21, 2006 12:37 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Amy, I have three kinds: the TX hibiscus; those big white perennial ones in my blog that die to the ground and go dormant over winter, then return in spring; and also a tropical hibiscus.

I've been able to carry the tropical one over winter by keeping it outside as long as the temps are above 40º. I put it in the garage or near the kitchen window when it's colder than that. It lived and started blooming again by April.

July 21, 2006 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home